The Variations Project is Baltimore's original ten-minute play festival. Each year since 2005, the event has created a diverse collection of world premiere plays based on an audience-chosen theme amid an inclusive and participatory process.
It all starts with the Variations Party...
1. Come to the Variations Party (February 8, 2020, 2-6pm) at Motor House (if you missed it, don't worry—source material from the party is posted here. This is the event where, each year, we explore the audience-chosen theme and generate sparks of ideas—the beginnings of stories. Then...
2. Go write a 10-minute play! (See Guidelines below.) Deadline for submission is March 31, 2020.
3. We will hold open readings of submissions (with actors from our ensemble and others) throughout April. Playwrights will be strongly encouraged to attend and will have opportunities through feedback to make revisions before final selections are made.
4. On April 26, we will announce the group of roughly 7 to 12 plays which will be produced on stage as Variations on Vision—and start rehearsals!
5. Our production will appear at Motor House in June. For specific show dates/times, ticket information, etc., click here.
And, like every year, our audiences who see the finished product will vote with their donations to choose the theme for The Variations Project 2021.
If you'd like to participate or have a question, please drop us a line using the "Contact Us" link.
A. Your submission should be a newly written piece for the purpose of this project and not something you dust off and repurpose to fit the theme. The writing is the most important part of the process!
B. No more than two submissions per author.
C. We want playwrights to join us in the process of creating and developing their work, so please be from the DelMarVa area so you can participate.
D. A ten-minute play runs about 1500 words and our production will be performed by an ensemble cast of about 6-8 actors so please be open to nontraditional casting and avoid writing something requiring many actors.
E. As with casting, be open-minded about production design. Remember, all of the plays we select to produce will share a stage. We'll have obvious limitations in scenery and other design elements which will give us wonderfully theatrical opportunities to attack problems unconventionally and non-literally.
F. Submissions should be emailed to VariationsProject@gmail.com in .doc (Word) format no later than 11:59 p.m. on the deadline date.